ELIGIBILITY FOR SPECIALTY CERTIFICATION IN COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY
A one-year full-time or two-year half-time internship program is required. The internship requirement can be met in one of four ways. The internship requirement is met if the internship is:
• Accredited by the APA or CPA, or
• Listed in the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (APPIC) Directory for the year in which the internship was completed, or
• Met APPIC equivalency guidelines, or
• Applicants are listed in the NRHSPP or CRHSPP Directories or hold the CPQ.
Post Doctoral Practice Experience:
By its nature, the specialty of Counseling Psychology denotes a level of practice requiring preparation beyond doctoral requirements. The postdoctoral requirement includes:
• Two years of Post-Doctoral Experience
• Identification with the specialty of Counseling Psychology in training, work, research, or practice.
Senior Psychologist Option:
Psychologists who meet the above degree, internship, and post-licensing criterion, AND have 15 years or more of post-doctoral experience are eligible for the Senior Psychologist option. The aim of this program is to bring into ABCoP senior colleagues who have made a contribution to our field. (Also, see the Senior Option under Section on Practice Sample).
Application Fee Waived for Training Directors:
Attention Psychology Doctoral Program, Internship and Postdoctoral Training Directors. If you are a Training Director at an:
• APA Accredited Doctoral Program
• APA Accredited Internship Site or
• APA Accredited Postdoctoral Program